One of the pillars of Search Engine Optimization is content generation. It’s a simple formula, really. Your site must produce fresh, unique content. This is what the search engines love the most.
Google will rank sites based on the popularity of your content. That’s why your site must create content!
Blogging is probably the best way to create content. It gives your site a way to make more of everything- pages, posts, links, keywords, etc. The more content you have, the better your chances of ranking high on Google. This is why so many business sites have blogs!
Here are some tips to blogging for Search Engine Optimization.
Write what you know.
If you’ve never maintained a blog before, you might be unsure of what to do. But don’t worry. The blog is designed to give your readers information you know and they want. That means writing about your business! You’re the expert, so feel free to schedule a series of blog posts that cover all topics you can think of. Be theoretical as well as topical. Write about the nuts and bolts of your business, as well as newsworthy info that matters to your business and your customers.
Keep it fresh and unique. Put it in your own words.
We can’t stress this enough! Google doesn’t simply reward content. It rewards NEW CONTENT. So make sure you aren’t copying another site, word for word. The chances are, you might be blogging on a topic a competitor has already written about. There’s a lot of content on the web, and you might not be the only business in your industry with a blog. That’s not a problem! You can write about similar things, but make sure you aren’t copying what the’ve written. You can get into copyright trouble for that. But more importantly, IT DOESN’T HELP YOU WITH SEO. YOU NEED FRESH, UNIQUE CONTENT. For SEO, just make sure you put everything in your own words. That’s what counts!
Blog early and often.
- Blog regularly. Like every business day.
- Keep it short.
- Blog posts should be 150-250 words each. People aren’t willing to spend too much time on a blog. They are scanning, not reading in-depth. So keep it punchy and to the point.
- Be playful.
- You want to be informative, first and foremost. You want people to come to your blog for insider information. But your blog must be entertaining and informal. Feel free to tell jokes, and include colorful stories and photos.
- Be yourself.
- Popular blogs are the ones that take on the personality of its author(s). So be yourself.
- Include photos and videos.
- The more visual the better. People will read your blog if breaks up the text with great images.
- Remember those keywords!
- All your site’s content MUST BE OPTIMIZED. Always, always use your keywords in every single blog post. Use the 3-5% keyword density formula!
Use Social Media.
Last but not least. Make sure all of your blogging is sent out to your Twitter feed, your Facebook Page, your LinkedIn profile, etc. This is easily than it seems. Just set up the RSS feed in your blog. That will allow all of your posts to go directly to your social media platforms.
Follow that list and you’ll do great!