Search Engine Optimization should be the bread and butter of your internet marketing campaign.
Even if you know how important SEO is, it’s possible that you may be wondering how to use SEO tactics. You may be working on a great new site with an interactive blog, podcast and YouTube Channel (all things you should be doing to grow your business) but you may be stuck. Sure I want to be the top ranked site on Google, you may ask, but how do i do that?
You need to choose the right keywords for Search Engine Optimization. Choosing the right keywords for SEO is easy once you’ve learned what to do, so let’s get right to it.
Here are tips on choosing keywords that will give you great SEO results.
- Study your competition. As anything in business, you will learn a great deal from competitors whoa are succeeding. Learn what your competition is doing, figure out what works and do it better. This seems obvious, but the great thing about internet marketing is that it’s all there to be seen and critiqued. Study the SEO tactics of your competitors. What keywords do they keep using over and over again? How is their local search? These are the first and best questions to be asking. Now that you know what your competition is doing, you should know what to copy. Not only that, you should have an idea of what is the “soft spot.” By that, we mean what keywords or phrases AREN’T BEING USED. Are there any keywords that your competitors should be using but aren’t? Take a few of those words as well as the commonly used keywords.
- Make a list of keywords and keep, keep, keep using them. You need to make a list to prioritize keywords to improve your SEO rankings. Make a list of the best keywords and keep using them. Be more than persistent. Using keywords is essential to improving your SEO and giving you a higher visibility. Whereas 25 years you had to advertise in printed publications, now you’ve got to show up when people are browsing the web. This starts and ends with the keyword list.
Make sure you include your neighborhood and city, too! This will help with local searches. For instance, if you own a car dealership in Portland, Oregon then you want your website to come up first when somebody searching for “car dealership Portland.”
Remember to add plurals and variations of the keywords! Be specific and consider all the possibilities for somebody searching for your services without searching directly for your business establishment.
- Get an outsider’s opinion. Trying to sum up your business in phrases is difficult if you are too close to the industry. To get an everyday opinion, ask customers or friends to name keywords they think of when they think of your business.
- Use keyword tools to evaluate your keywords. Now that you’ve got a list of keywords, you need to use the right tools to measure your SEO success. It is impossible to perfectly optimize your site for every keyword on your list. This is why you want to order you list, so you know what is absolutely the MOST IMPORTANT SEO KEYWORDS for you site. The other keywords can work around everything else on your site.
Even if can’t build a perfect site, you can use tools to measure your SEO success to know how to improve your site. Use software such as WordTracker to measure the popularity of your keywords. Google Adwords: Keywords Tools is an excellent (and free) tool for measuring your SEO. After measuring your SEO, keep the most popular keywords and get rid of the ones that aren’t helping. Remember that as searching trends change and people use different keywords to find your business services, you want to be able to change, too.
- Be specific. Instead of writing “Italian restaurant,” write “‘gourmet Italian food Houston, Texas.” While the former may be a more popular search term and could possibly garner more eyeballs, the latter is likely to lead to more sales. You want to increase your SEO stats, true. But ultimately you want to increase sales. So you want to attract likely customers rather than accidental browsers.
- Update regularly. You should update your keywords based on the feedback received from visitors to your site and customers. Again, this is about adapting to the browsing trends. The more quickly you can learn to incorporate new terms and slogans, the better your SEO will be and the more quickly your business will grow!